Department Manager – Building Science
- Job Title: Department Manager – Building Science
- Reports To: Vice President
- Location: Denver, CO
Pie Consulting & Engineering is a leading building science and forensic consulting engineering firm with offices throughout the nation. Pie’s corporate headquarters are located in Arvada, Colorado at the base of the Rocky Mountain foothills (West of Denver). We serve clients throughout the US and internationally. Our continued growth results from trusted relationships with outstanding clients and an unyielding commitment to their success while adhering to our own CORE values of:
Pie Consulting & Engineering is a fast-growing, private, entrepreneurial firm. Due to our continued success, we are expanding our staff to meet the demand and need of our clients. Our culture is employee-centric and promotes professional growth, opportunity, education/training, and is always considering the next strategic move for advancement of the company and our staff. The work environment is challenging, fast-paced, multi-faceted, dynamic and professional.
The Department Manager (DM) is responsible for overseeing and developing technical staff, providing technical expertise. Additionally the DM fosters relationships with new and existing clients and may serve as Project Manager on select projects. This role manages departmental revenue tracking/forecasts, contracts and invoicing, assures quality control and optimized use of resources. This is a strategic role that manages alignment and achievement of Pie company goals and standardization of practices across the department and company.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead and manage a team of highly cohesive and engaged Team Leaders / PMs who drive continuous improvement in the services they and their team members provide. This includes regular performance feedback via coaching, 1:1 meetings, goal setting and annual reviews.
- Manage contracts and change orders from project award notification through execution, minimizing exposure to performing non-reimbursed services.
- Manage scheduling and resources via look ahead tools and project meetings and weekly huddle meetings; perform tech reviews, facilitate equipment needs
- Forecast near and midterm billings, inspiring Team Leaders/PMs to schedule and execute services that meet or exceed monthly goals as identified in billings. Maintain reporting and sales tracking, communicate status of goals
- Ensure client relationship building at all levels of the organization, resulting in superior service, repeat clients and referrals.
- Identifies strengths, weaknesses, threats, and opportunities, and develop appropriate plans for the future.
- Act as a member of the Pie leadership team, model Pie Core Values, provide input to strategic planning and critical business analysis
Qualifications and Skills
- High school diploma/equivalent required
- Bachelors’ Degree in an engineering or architecture related discipline
- P.E./AIA or other relevant licensure preferred
- Certification in industry-specific technical areas (roofing, fenestrations, waterproofing, commissioning)
- Minimum 10 years of experience in engineering, architecture or construction management required
- Experience in a Building Science, Building Enclosure, or Forensic Consultancy role
- People management experience preferred
- Technically competent and able to effectively communicate and build rapport with and respect of team, clients, co-workers and sub-contractors
- Ability to effectively coach, develop and mentor team
- Ability to effectively accept coaching and mentoring.
- Must have practical understanding of building structures
- Anticipates and plans for changes in client needs, new technology and industry conditions
- Demonstrated ability to apply sound discretion and judgment in all situations
- Excellent written/oral communication skills
- Ability to read and interpret drawings
- Flexible, responsive and confident multi-tasker able to work independently, handle large amounts of information, multiple deadlines and accommodate shifting priorities.
- High level of financial acumen
- Must demonstrate a commitment to quality, organization, meticulous attention to detail and consistency in work product
- Travel is required
- Must be able to independently lift 25 lbs.
Leads: Provides purpose, motivation, inspiration; enforces standards; builds trust outside lines of authority, understand sphere, means and limits of influence, negotiate, builds consensus, resolve conflict, display character, leads with confidence and optimism in adverse conditions, listens actively, aligns goals, ensures shared understanding.
Develops: Sets conditions for positive environment, builds teamwork and cohesion, encourages initiative, demonstrates care for people, is prepared for expected and unexpected internal and external challenges, continually expands knowledge, maintains self-awareness and EQ, assesses development needs, supports professional and personal growth, facilitates learning, counsels, coaches and mentors, builds team skills and processes
Achieves Results: Provides direction, guidance and priorities, develops and executes plans, accomplishes short and long term commitments consistently
Strategic Agility: Sees ahead clearly, can anticipate future consequences and trends accurately, has broad knowledge and perspective, is future oriented, can articulately paint credible pictures and visions of possibilities and likelihoods, can create competitive and breakthrough strategies and plans
Business Acumen: Understands specialty profession, keeps knowledge up-to-date, is a technical resource for others, follows technology practices and standards.
Adaptability/Flexibility: Adapts to change, is open to new ideas, takes on new responsibilities, handles pressure, and adjusts plans to meet changing needs.
Quality: Is attentive to detail and accuracy, is committed to excellence, looks for improvements continuously, monitors quality levels.
Pie Consulting & Engineering offers a competitive salary and excellent benefits including monthly variable bonus program, year-end bonus program, medical, dental, vision, life insurance, long and short term disability insurance, flexible spending account and 401(k). We offer generous time off benefits, including paid time off to perform charitable work in the community.
If you are interested in joining our team of passionate experts, please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org