Senior Design Consultant
- Job Title: Senior Design Consultant
- Reports To: Project Manager
- Location: Eden Prairie, MN
Pie Consulting & Engineering is a leading building science and forensic consulting engineering firm with offices throughout the nation. Pie’s corporate headquarters are located in Arvada, Colorado at the base of the Rocky Mountain foothills (West of Denver). We serve clients throughout the US and internationally. Our continued growth results from trusted relationships with outstanding clients and an unyielding commitment to their success while adhering to our own CORE values of:
Pie Consulting & Engineering is a fast-growing, private, entrepreneurial firm. Due to our continued success, we are expanding our staff to meet the demand and need of our clients. Our culture is employee-centric and promotes professional growth, opportunity, education/training, and is always considering the next strategic move for advancement of the company and our staff. The work environment is challenging, fast-paced, multi-faceted, dynamic and professional.
Responsibilities include the design, production of documents, and specifications for architectural, structural and building science related components of both new and restorative construction.
Work requires originality and judgment in the independent evaluation of drawing layout, complex architectural detailing, building system design, and product selection. Receives direction from project managers across office locations. May lead projects, often makes design decisions, even system selection without the input from the Project Manager. Lays out the drawing package independently, and makes decisions about standardizing. Supports or performs field testing when necessary, may assist in training for field testing and reporting.
Recognized as fully competent in conventional aspects of the architectural, structural and building sciences subject matter, and resourceful in seeking design assistance, as necessary, from internal experts.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Production of architectural, structural and building envelope drawings and related deliverables expediently and accurately.
2. Provides ongoing support and assistance to project managers.
3. Provides assistance to related field work. Including, but not limited to field verifications, site observations/inspections, consultation, and field testing (ASTM, BECX, and ELD). Up to 25% local, and infrequent national travel, as required. May vary dependent upon project specific tasks.
4. Interact independently and build relationships with clients, architects, engineers, and construction professionals.
5. Ensure internal and external client satisfaction and project success by providing accurate, detailed construction documents in timely manner.
6. Communicate complicated design ideas through multiple formats including hand sketching to better coordinate team efforts and communicate clients desired outcome.
7. Provides planning related comment for proposals with regard to hours necessary for drafting on a new project, and field verification hours.
8. Ensure organization of documents, drawings, layouts and files.
9. Create documents using identified standards, ensuring continuity in work product
10. Conduct product research and comparison as needed, independently
11. Assist in coordinating team communication to provide a unified design solution that considers all aspects of the project.
12. May write technical specifications as needed
Qualifications and Skills
- High School Diploma or Equivalent
- Or, jobsite experience with building science trades.
- 2-year Technical Degree, or equivalent
- 5-8 years of progressive designing experience or the equivalent in education and experience.
- 2-5 years architectural/ building envelope design experience.
- AutoCAD proficiency, and customization. MS Word Excel.
- Must have experience on a construction site as an observer for the periodic duration of projects.
- Maintains professional tact while still being a flexible; an understanding individual who can adapt in a changing, fast-paced office environment working with various people
- Advanced verbal and written interpersonal communication skills
- Superior Time Management – ability to prioritize large workloads
- Critical thinking – takes initiative – self-motivated
- Exceptional grammar, business writing, and presentation preparation skills including the ability to communicate at all levels of the organization
- proficiency in Microsoft Office Applications, Outlook
- Exceptional planning and organizational skills with a quality focus and attention to detail and proactivity with ideas and recommendations for productivity and efficiency
- Ability to understand typical system detailing and extrapolate the system through the specific details. Learns new practices independently
Has good listening skills, builds strong relationships, is flexible/open minded, negotiates effectively, solicits performance feedback and acts on recommendations for improvement.
Understands specialty profession, keeps knowledge up-to-date, is a technical resource for others, follows technology practices and standards.
Develops realistic plans, sets goals, aligns plans with company goals, plans for and manages resources, anticipates need for creating contingency plans, coordinates/cooperates with others.
Adapts to change, is open to new ideas, takes on new responsibilities, handles pressure, and adjusts plans to meet changing needs.
Keeps information organized and accessible, maintains clean/functional work space, works systematically/efficiently, and manages time well. Superior digital organization[MM1]
Is attentive to detail and accuracy, is committed to excellence, looks for improvements continuously, monitors quality levels.
Manages a fair workload, volunteers for additional work, prioritizes tasks, develops good work procedures, manages time well, and handles information flow.
Job and Industry Experience Preferred:
- Bluebeam or alternative PDF editing software experience is super helpful.
- Working knowledge of AutoCAD 3D and with the ability to coordinate with outside clients and sub-contractors, is preferred plus.
- Basic understanding of building code and ability to resource the code as reference.
Pie Consulting & Engineering offers a competitive salary and excellent benefits including monthly variable bonus program, year-end bonus program, medical, dental, vision, life insurance, long and short term disability insurance, flexible spending account and 401(k). We offer generous time off benefits, including paid time off to perform charitable work in the community.
If you are interested in joining our team of passionate experts, please send your resume to email@example.com