Pie Begins Fort Hood Hospital Project
Arvada, Colorado (September 7, 2011) – Pie Consulting & Engineering (Pie) recently began building enclosureconsulting services on the Carl R. Darnall Army Medical Center at Fort Hood located outside of Killeen, Texas.
The $503-million, 947,000 square-foot replacement hospital, a Balfour Beatty/McCarthy Joint Venture, aims to completely replace an existing 45-year-old army medical center. The new state-of-the-art facility slated for completion in 2014 is being engineered to achieve LEED Gold certification.
Design team partners include HKS Architects and Wingler & Sharp and Southland Industries / M.C. Dean for MEP services.
Pie will lend its design-build expertise in performing the following:
- Design development consultation
- Design reviews of building enclosure systems (20, 35, 65 and 100% packages)
- Pre-construction subcontractor bid reviews, meetings, and shop drawing/submittal reviews
- Construction coordination consultation
- Mock-up review and water penetration testing
- Construction verification plan and checklists
- Quality assurance observations and curtain wall water penetration testing
- Whole-building air barrier testing of 1.5M square-feet of enclosure
“The Carl R. Darnall Army Medical Center is a signature project. We’re pleased to be providing a full suite of building enclosure services to the world-class building team of Balfour Beatty / McCarthy and their distinguished design team partners of HKS and Wingler & Sharp,” notes Matt Heron, P.E., LEED®AP, Project Manager for Pie’s Building Science Group.
Pie’s Building Science Group provides building enclosure commissioning (BECx) and exterior building envelope consulting services including: design development guidance, technical design review and analysis, shop drawing and submittal reviews, quality assurance observations, customized training programs, and specialized building performance testing and diagnostic services (whole building air barrier, water, thermal, wind uplift, etc.) for both the new and retrofit design and construction industries.