Pie Consults City of Fort Collins on New Air Tightness Code
Arvada, Colorado (March 29, 2012) – Pie Consulting & Engineering (Pie) recently consulted for and assisted the City of Fort Collins in assimilating a new whole building air tightness code requirement for commercial building envelopes into the local design and construction community.
Approximately one year ago on March 22, 2011, the City of Fort Collins adopted Ordinance No. 031, 2011 amending Chapter 5, Article II, Division 2 of the Code of the City of Fort Collins for the purpose of amending the 2009 International Energy Conservation Code (Ordinance). Effective as of January 1, 2012, the ordinance now requires that all new commercial buildings, additions, and those undergoing major renovations shall be tested and have an air leakage rate that does not exceed 0.25 CFM/SF @ 75Pa of the total building envelope area when tested in accordance with the City of Fort Collins Air Leakage Test Protocol for Non-Residential Building Enclosures.
Pie’s consultation services included:
- Assistance in the development of the City of Fort Collins Air Leakage Test Protocol
- Consultation on testing agency qualifications development
- Development of 8-hour training program for City personnel as well as local architects, engineers, contractors and sub-contractors.
“The City of Fort Collins is one of the most forward-thinking municipal jurisdictions that Pie has had the opportunity to work with. It was a pleasure to collaborate with them in the assimilation of their new code requirement.” – Eric Amhaus, Pie Principal.
Pie’s Large Building Air Barrier Consultation and Testing Qualifications Include:
- Pie was a primary technical contributor/author to the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) during their initial development of the currently in-use whole building air tightness testing protocol. Pie is currently providing consultation with regards to updates to the USACE protocol.
- In 2011, Pie was acknowledged by the U.S. Department of the Army, Assistant Secretary of the Army for contributions and training to assist in implementing whole building air barrier requirements and testing in U.S. Army facilities worldwide.
- To date, Pie has consulted on and tested the air barrier of more than 200+ commercial buildings domestically and internationally.
Pie’s Building Science Group provides building enclosure commissioning (BECx) and exterior building envelope consulting services including: design development guidance, technical design review and analysis, shop drawing and submittal reviews, quality assurance observations, customized training programs, and specialized building performance testing and diagnostic services (whole building air barrier, water, thermal, wind uplift, etc.) for both the new and retrofit design and construction industries.